Crossword puzzles are fun for people of all ages. For those who don't know, crosswords are puzzles that are made up of numbered squares connected together that go up-and-down and across and a numbered list of clues. To solve them, you have to read the clues, figure out the answers, and then write each one in the row of boxes that matches the number of the clue. The answers cross over each other in the grid, so as you figure out the clues, you'll start to fill in letters of the ones you don't know, which can help you to guess those answers, too. For those really tough puzzles, an easy tool like the Word Finder can be a lifesaver!
Doing crosswords can be a fun way to study and remember things you're learning at school. There are crossword puzzles out there focused on all sorts of subjects, like science, history, math, grammar, music, art, and health. And while you work on them, you'll also be practicing your spelling skills. You might even learn some new vocabulary words!
Crosswords aren't just a type of schoolwork, though. They're also just plain fun, which is why adults do them, too. Have you ever seen a grown-up working on a crossword puzzle in the newspaper or from a book? They're not studying: They're just enjoying doing the puzzles, like you might enjoy solving riddles or putting together a jigsaw puzzle. Maybe you could even offer to help them! Doing crossword puzzles with a friend or family member can be a great way to spend time with them: You can take turns doing one clue at a time, you could pick one of you to solve the "across" clues and the other to solve the "down" clues, or you could do as many as you can, then pass the puzzle and let them work on it until they get stuck and pass it back. Crossword-style word games like Scrabble and Words With Friends are also a great way for families to connect and learn together.
You don't have to buy a book or a newspaper to be able to do crossword puzzles, either. Finding online crosswords is easy, and there are lots to choose from with different themes and topics. Some puzzles are the kind that you can do online, clicking and typing in the boxes, and others are printable, so you can print them out and then fill them in with a pencil or pen, either on your own or with a friend. You could even print out a few copies and then race to see who can solve the crossword puzzle first!
Want to try to stump your friends? There are also puzzle generators on the Internet that let you make your own crossword puzzles! Just come up with your own clues and answers and type them into the boxes, and you'll be able to make your very own crossword puzzle. Then, you can print out copies to give to your friends and see if they can solve them.
Visit the following links to find fun and educational online crossword puzzles and puzzle generators online:
- Discovery Education Puzzle-Maker
- Blues Music Crossword
- Antarctica Crossword Puzzle
- Clueless Crossword
- Shepherd Software Online Crossword
- Ecosystems, Food Chains, and Food Webs Printable Crossword
- Evolution Printable Crossword
- School Subjects Crossword
- Make a Science Crossword Puzzle
- Crossword Puzzle-Maker
- Geometry Printable Crossword
- Elements Online Crosswords: It's a Gas!
- Marvel Superheroes Printable Crossword
- Online Crossword Puzzle for Beginners
- Thanksgiving Online Crossword
- Occupations Online Crossword
- World Cup Printable Crossword
- Force and Motion Study Printable Crossword
- Instant Online Crossword Puzzle-Maker
- Audiology Awareness Crossword
- Thanksgiving Printable Crossword
- NumberCross Math Crossword Puzzle
- Summertime Crossword
- edHelper Crossword Puzzle-Maker
- Reading Crossword Generator
- Halloween Printable Crossword
- Spooky Deluxe Crossword Puzzle
- Spellbound Crossword
- I Love Animals Crossword Puzzle
- Birthday Party Crossword
- Disney Printable Crossword
- Body Parts Printable Crossword
- Dinosaurs Printable Crossword