Helpful List of Adjectives Starting With H
Here is an exhaustive list of adjectives that start with H whenever you need them! Use these descriptive words to describe the hot, scorching summer sun, your hard-headed sibling, or a humorous TV series that gets you through.
Common Adjectives Starting With H
- Heavy - something weighs a lot
- High - physical, intellectual, status, elevation
- Huge - enormous or big
- Hollow - something that is empty inside
- Hazardous - something dangerous or risky
- High-pitched - a noise or sound that has a higher frequency or pitch
- Historical - related to the past
- Habitual - regularly done
- Hispanic - of Spanish-speaking origin
- Harmful - causes harm
- Hebrew - language of Israel
- Hesitant - uncertain, reluctant
- Hanging - suspended in the air
- My art class taught us how to make hanging macrame baskets for plants.
- My habitual morning routine consists of coffee and rushing out the door.
- The sound of the kettle boiling on the stove was so high-pitched that it made his ears ring.
Positive Words That Start With H
Expand your positivity with these positive words with H.
- Halcyon - peaceful and calm
- Healthy - good for your body, nourishing
- Heartwarming - fills with joy and warmth
- Hearty - warm, enthusiastic, nourishing
- High-functioning - performs well, usually under pressure or force
- Holy - sacred or religious
- Homey - cozy and comfortable (US English) Homely (British)
- Humanitarian - helps others in need
- Hygienic - clean and sanitary
- Frankie likes to buy cushions to make her house homier.
- High-functioning is a term often used to describe individuals with neurodiversity.
- My grandma's hearty stew recipe is a family secret.
Negative Adjectives That Start With H
Having a useful list of negative adjectives on hand is always a good idea because life isn't always harmonious.
- Haggard - tired and exhausted
- Hapless - unlucky or unfortunate
- Harsh - something rough or severe
- Hazardous - risky and dangerous
- Heartless - cruel or unfeeling
- Heated - intense or passionate
- Heavy-handed - someone forceful or clumsy
- Hedonistic - constantly seeking pleasure, pleasure-seeking
- Heedless - careless or inattentive
- Heinous - shockingly evil or wicked
- Helpless - unable to help oneself, feelings of helplessness
- Hideous - ugly or unpleasant to look at
- Humiliating - Embarrassing, degrading
- Hurtful - Causing pain or distress
- Hypocritical - insincere or deceitful, goes against own beliefs
- Hysterical - uncontrollable emotions
- Christmas sweaters are hideous, but I love them.
- Hattie couldn't get over her ex's hurtful behavior.
- Louise was so excited to share her news that she was heedless of her friend's busy schedule.
Unusual Adjectives Starting with H
Looking for some unusual H adjectives? Here's a word list and example sentence just for you!
- Haptic - relating to sense of touch
- Heady - very intoxicating or exhilarating
- Hectic - busy, rushed, fast-paced
- Heliophilous - sun-loving or attracted to sunlight
- Hellenic - relating to ancient Greece or the Greeks
- Heterodox - non-conforming with accepted standards, unorthodox
- Heuristic - enabling a person to discover or learn something for themselves
- Hieratic - highly stylized or formal in character, cursive form of ancient Egyptian writing
- Hodiernal - relating to the present-day, modern
- Holophrastic - expressing a complete thought or sentence in a single word
- Hymeneal - relating to marriage or wedding ceremonies, nuptial
- Hyperborean - relating to extreme northern regions and Arctic Peoples
- Hyperkinetic - abnormal or extremely active, hyperactivity
- Hypnagogic - relating to the drowsy state between waking up and sleeping
- Hypoallergenic - describing materials that are designed for people with sensitive allergies
- I often experience hypnagogic hallucinations, like strange images, just before falling asleep.
- The Hellenic civilization flourished in ancient Greece and is famous for contributing to philosophy, mathematics, literature, and the arts.
- The heady aroma of freshly ground coffee hit her as she stepped into the cafe.
H Adjectives to Describe a Person
Adjectives modify nouns and pronouns; they're descriptive and powerful. Here's a list of H adjectives that describe a person.
- Handsome - pleasing to look at
- Hard-headed - someone who is stubborn
- Hardy - someone bold and brave, able to bounce back
- Harsh - mean and critical
- Heavy-duty - able to withstand stain, is strong
- Heavy-footed - heavy or slow when moving
- Heavy-handed - clumsy, can be harsh
- Heroic - brave, hero-like
- Hesitant - unsure, slower to act or move forward
- Hip - slang for cool, up-to-date, trendy
- Histrionic - overly dramatic, histrionic personality
- Honest - someone genuine and real, able to express true feelings
- Hopeful - full of hope
- His daily harsh comments offended the entire team.
- Thomas is a hardy person despite everything he has been through.
- She's an honest businessperson; you won't have any problems.
Adjectives That Start with H to Describe a Personality
Some adjectives that start with H can describe a personality trait; here are a few you can use.
- Happy-go-lucky - carefree personality
- Hardworking - works hard to get something done, diligent
- Hasty - impulsive
- Health-conscious - is concerned with health and fitness
- High-spirited - very energetic
- Hilarious - funny or amusing
- Honorable - ethical or well renowned
- Hospitable - welcoming and open
- Hot-headed - impatient and impulsive, quick to anger
- Humanitarian - charitable personality
- Hypnotic - captivating, able to withhold attention of others
- Lucky has a high-spirited energy; he's always bouncing off the walls.
- As a teenager, Hattie was extremely hot-headed.
- Their hypnotic charm drew people in.
Test your knowledge with this adjectives quiz. Can you guess which adjective is being described?